Nesting and Manufacturing Optimization – The Manufacturer
If you are cutting a large number of parts from flat sheets with varying sizes and prices, nesting is a crucial part of the workflow to help eliminate guesswork and minimize waste. Autodesk explains more …
Nesting optimizes the process of arranging parts on a flat sheet of material to reduce scrap and improve production of finished products. Typical materials include sheet metal, heavy plates, wood, and fabric. With the introduction of the Fusion 360 Nesting & Fabrication extension, new features include integrated, automated and associative nesting with material, thickness and quantity detection that will help optimize the layout of parts – both in sheet and sheet – on flat raw materials in repair for cutting operations.
The nesting capabilities were designed to be easily used with existing assemblies by including simple part filtering to reduce overall model repeat time. The workflow is transparent, with no need to translate or export your design, so there’s no data loss along the way. The parts are grouped by material and sheet thickness, and nested according to your specifications. You also have the ability to compare key metrics from your nesting results and view even more detailed metrics in printable nesting reports.
Nesting report in Autodesk Fusion 360. Image courtesy of Autodesk
But what about when a design changes? Even a small change can have a huge impact on nesting efficiency, which can affect throughput and material usage. The Fusion 360 Nesting & Fabrication extension is fully associative, so design changes are automatically consumed when the nesting is updated. Auto-select tools streamline the creation of toolpaths at any point in the process. As you make changes to the model, the associated nests will be marked “obsolete” and you can update them to reflect the latest changes to the model.
Creating a nesting study in Fusion 360 is simple, fast, and flexible. You can create multiple nesting studies with different inputs such as quantity of parts, rotational constraints, available sheet sizes, etc. and then compare the results to identify the best solution to manufacture or generate a quote for your customer. .
Reports provide a more detailed and printable way to view nesting metrics, including nesting sources and packaging and their parameters, nested sheets, and sheet part summaries. Reports also offer configuration via report templates and sections can be shown or hidden to adjust the length of the report. You can save the HTML report or print it to create a PDF or hard copy.
VIMEK nested sheet in Autodesk Fusion 360. Image courtesy of Autodesk
Designed with the needs of manufacturing and machine shops in mind, Fusion 360’s nesting and manufacturing capabilities include technology for mechanical engineers, manufacturing engineers, fabricators, and machinists typically involved in a workflow. manufacturing work. You can quickly program the nesting of components and / or the creation of cutting toolpaths for machines such as laser, waterjet, plasma or router cutters.
The Fusion 360 Nesting & Fabrication extension has many benefits, including:
- Increase in material yield by combining several tasks or sub-assemblies for a single task Nest from multiple documents (.dxf, .f3d) to aggregate and nest parts of different documents.
- Automated nesting to reduce delays and errors Multi-sheet nesting generates optimized nestings on multiple sheets with detection of material, thickness and quantity.
- Automatic alignment of nested parts for any material grain or aesthetic requirement Advanced part and material controls allow you to specify rotations, clearances, and increments allowed for initial part orientations.
- Standardized material availability within your company Store available material and inventory information in a shared process materials library.
- Automatic creation of configurations with defined stock sizes from nested results, on multiple sheets, for faster programming Create configurations, toolpaths and NC code for
nested models or export nested sheet results as a DXF file.
- Simplified quotation process. Compare the impact of varying quantities, sheet sizes and prices on your total costs to help improve your ROI Create and compare
Customizable nesting reports that can be saved and shared in PDF format.
Richard Ganas, Founder and CEO of GANAS MFG, said: âHaving turnkey 3D CAD, nesting and CAM software with Autodesk Fusion 360 has been an invaluable tool in increasing business efficiency. . This has accelerated the engineering and manufacturing of all of our projects, from high-end residential furniture to custom architectural carpentry.
Profile programming in Autodesk Fusion 360. Image courtesy of Autodesk
The Fusion 360 Nesting & Fabrication extension allows you to generate nests from your Fusion 360 designs and create toolpaths and NC code to drive your CNC machines. It is fully integrated with CAD and CAM functionality, which includes instant access to toolpath generation for a variety of CNC machines.
It’s simple to create manufacturing setups from nested sheets and start programming with easy-to-use toolpath options for milling and contouring applications. When you’re ready to start production, Fusion 360 offers a full library of fast, free, and fully customizable post-processors to send code to your machine, closing the loop in the design, nesting, and manufacturing process.
* Header Image: GANAS uses Autodesk Fusion 360 Nesting & Fabrication Extension to create custom architectural joinery and furniture. Image courtesy of GANAS